Position: Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Reports to: Ultrasound Supervisor
PRIMARY FUNCTION/GENERAL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Diagnostic Medical Sonographer is responsible for the independent operation of sonographic equipment, and for performing and communicating results of diagnostic examinations using sonography.
Active certification by American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) in the specialty(ies) as appropriate/ or Certification by American Registry of Radiological Technologists (ARRT). Current compliance with Continuing Medical Education (CME) requirements for specialty (ies) as appropriate.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs all requested sonographic examinations as ordered by the attending physician.
- Prepares preliminary reports and contacts referring physicians when required, according to established procedures.
- Coordinates with other staff to assure appropriate patient care is provided.
- Addresses problems of patient care as they arise and makes decisions to appropriately resolve the problems.
- Organizes daily work schedule and performs related clerical duties as required.
- Assumes responsibility for the safety and well-being of all patients in the sonographic area/department.
- Reports equipment failures to the appropriate supervisor or staff member.
- Provides in-service education team on requirements of sonographic procedures as requested by other members of the health care team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
DEMONSTRATION OF SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively operate sonographic equipment.
- Ability to evaluate sonograms in order to acquire appropriate diagnostic information.
- Ability to integrate diagnostic sonograms, laboratory results, patient history and medical records, and adapt sonographic examination as necessary.
- Ability to use independent judgment to acquire the optimum diagnostic sonographic information in each examination performed.
- Ability to evaluate, synthesize, and communicates diagnostic information to the attending physician.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the patient and the health care team, recognizing the special nature of sonographic examinations and patient’s needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and health care team.
- Ability to follow established departmental procedures.
- Ability to work efficiently and cope with emergency situations.
- Requires viewing a CRT.
- Requires moving Ultrasound equipment in and out of a van.
- Requires driving on a daily basis.
- Requires lifting and manipulating patient furnishings to acquire proper positioning for Ultrasound exams.
- Requires hand washing on a regular basis.
About Employment at Dynamic Mobile Imaging
It is the responsibility of all employees to learn and utilize continuous quality improvement principles in their daily work. Employees are required to extend the mission and values of Dynamic Mobile Imaging, treating each patient, staff member and each customer (facility staff) in a dignified manner with respect, kindness and understanding. The employee is required to subscribe to the organizations commitment to quality and service.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by technologists assigned to this job and not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties.